blog_15

More ponies!

I made two new MLP customs last weekend: a birthday pony for Toffe’s mom and a Dark Side of the Moon- pony for Toffe (he’s a huge Pink Floyd fan!).

These were the bait ponies I started out with; Merry Treats (whose symbol I already tried to remove many, many years ago) and Shenanigans (whose hair has seen better days…).

blog_01_merry_treats

blog_03_shenanigans

I made plans, once again. The idea for the birthday pony was to keep it simple and cute with a picture on the side of Toffe’s family’s dog, Mocca.

blog_02

The Dark Side of the Moon-pony’s plans look pretty awful :D Plus they changed after I realized the rainbow colors would look a lot better as his mane rather than the tail.

blog_04

I then sprayed the birthday pony white (it needed a couple of layers to hide the old symbol) and Shenanigans black. It only needed one layer because the black spray covered it pretty well!

blog_07 blog_08
I then proceeded to finish the birthday pony first, because Toffe’s mom already had her birthday several weeks ago, whoops!

I re-rooted her 50/50 with “Chocolate Fudge” and “White Chocolate” and added small, golden highlights (“Goldilocks”) in between. Her hair is delicious-looking! ^_^

blog_09 blog_10

So here she is:

blog_11

And her details:

blog_12

I think she’s adorable and totally suits Toffe’s mom :) Thankfully she liked it too!

Onto the Dark Side of the Moon-pony! I re-rooted him with 6 different colors: “Pomme d’Amour”, “Sunset”, “Lemon Drop”, “Envy”, “Forget me not” and “Sour Grapes”. His tail is mostly “Black Magick” but has a strand of “Virgin Snow” in it. His hair is meant to replicate the Dark Side of the Moon-symbol’s colors.

blog_13

So here he is!

blog_15

I have to admit, he might just be my favorite MLP custom I’ve made so far! His hair was a delight to re-root (although it got frustrating at times) and he was all in all really fun to make :)

Here are his details:

blog_16 blog_17

That’s all for now! However, I can tell you that I just spent two hours sculpting two amazing little creatures and they’ll be done during this weekend! Won’t tell you more until I post next time ;)

Meow!<3

PicsArt_1378061626601

My Little Pony Customs: Bride & Groom ponies

FINALLY I can post these without spoiling the surprise for my sister (who got married this Saturday, congrats!)!

I’ve been working on these the entire Summer, doing little things one at a time and not attempting to do everything at once. Of course they could be improved in lots of ways, but I’m happy with the result, and so were the bride and groom :)

I’m just going to post all the pictures from the entire process and explain a little what was done.

1. Choose ponies

I chose two baby ponies, G1 Baby Blossom and G1 Baby Moondancer, for this project since I haven’t actually ever re-rooted a MLP before and I figured baby ponies won’t take as long. I found these pictures of them online to use as reference for the planning process.

ponies2. Plan

I apologize for this part, since the picture is so awful :D This part is just for your own reference so you actually know what you’re doing! These plans don’t match the final design since I decided that less is more after all; doing the veil and tuxedo would’ve been hard, especially since I’m not great at sculpting. The ponies have a white, shimmery base coat as well that is really easy to mess up so I tried to keep it simple.

Sketch160121248

3. Spraying the base coat

This part was done by my friend Jonny since I’ve never sprayed anything before :D I covered the eyes with paper so they didn’t get spray on them (it’s much easier to paint on top of existing eyes to keep the authentic MLP look). The spray covers the existing color quite well and makes the rest of the paint layers stick better.

PicsArt_1378062023104

4. Painting the final layer, details and symbols + sculpting

I painted the ponies with a final layer of white shimmery paint (white + metallic), which I chose because I thought it went well with the wedding theme. The bride’s eyes are blue and the groom’s are brown, so obviously I decided to make the ponies’ eyes the same. The symbols are two interlocked rings (on the display side) and the initials of the happy couple on the non-display side. I apologize for the terrible, shaky symbols but I think I had had a bit too much coffee the day I painted them :D The sculpted part on the groom is a bow tie and the one for the bride is a leg garter. I’m quite happy how it turned out!

PicsArt_1378062383924

5. Re-rooting and final touches

The last part was the most difficult since I’ve never really re-rooted a MLP before. The idea is to remove the hair from the old bait pony and replace it with new, fresh hair. For my ponies I didn’t try to replicate the real couple’s hair but tried to make interesting combinations of colors for both.

The groom is re-rooted with three shades of nylon hair (bought from Dollyhair), which are called “Black Magick” (black), “Kiss of Death” (dark purple) and “Chocolate Fudge” (Dark chocolatey brown). I mainly used “Chocolate Fudge” and only did some highlights with the other two colors. For the bride I used “Oyster shell” (lovely pink-ish silvery color), “Virgin Snow” (white) and “Moonlight” (Silver). “Moonlight” was only used for highlights whereas the two others were used equally much. I lovelovelove how the bride’s hair turned out!

The last part was to paint the sculpted parts, style the hair and do a few finishing touches.

PicsArt_1378062692088

6. Done!

So here they are, all finished and nice :)

PicsArt_1378061626601

I’m very happy with the result and intend to keep customizing ponies as gifts for friends and family. The next ones I’m going to do are a gift for Toffe’s mom and a “Dark side of the moon” rainbow pony for Toffe who’s a huge Pink Floyd fan. I’ll post more pictures when I get them done!